Here are the best information about Standard two car garage size voted by users and compiled by us, invite you to learn together
A standard two-car garage dimension is not as uniform as you may think. In fact, there are three or four different varieties. Read on to learn what affects these dimensions and how to decide which size is best for your home.
Disclaimer: REthority is supported by ads and participation in affiliate programs. We may earn a commission when you click our links. The information included in this post is for informational purposes only and should not be taken as legal or financial advice.
Why Do Two-Car Garage Dimensions Vary?
A two car garage has to be wide enough to fit two vehicles comfortably inside with enough room for car doors to be opened and closed, people to walk around the sides, and possibly offer some storage space.
Not every garage owner uses a double garage to house two cars. Some park one car in the garage and use the remaining space for storage, tools, or equipment.
Two-car garages are built as a separate, detached structure or are attached to the home. Some have lofts for additional vertical storage, some are single-story, and some have two complete stories.
Single-story two car garages are the most common. The standard two-car garage dimensions, garage door sizes, and garage designs do vary a bit.
In this guide, we’ll cover the most common two-car garage sizes. Read on to learn everything you need to know.
Different Garage Sizes
We’ll look at a few things, but particularly the typical size and dimension of:
- Minimum two-car garage dimensions
- Standard two-car garage dimensions
- Large two-car garage dimensions
Each of these garage sizes serves a different purpose for homeowners. The garage you design or choose needs to have enough space to be useful for you and your lifestyle.
Keep reading to learn about standard garage dimensions and what each category is best suited for.
Minimum Two-Car Garage Dimensions
If you make a garage too small — even by a foot — it becomes almost impossible to get two cars into the space or open the car doors once inside.
It’s already difficult to do either of those things in a 20′ by 20′ garage. Small vehicles like compact cars and sedans are the best fit for a garage in this category.
Some homeowners with small two-car garages use them as a single car garage with the second bay being used as extra storage.
Minimum Two-Car Garage Door Dimensions
The smallest two-car garage door is 12 feet wide and 8 feet high. This is the absolute minimum amount of space required for two cars to fit inside.
A garage door this size is only appropriate on a 20′ by 20′ two-car garage because it’s pretty constrictive, especially if you have larger vehicles. In that case, a larger garage is a better choice.
If you decide to build or buy a pre-fabricated two-car garage in the minimum size dimensions:
- Keep in mind that only compact, small vehicles are suited for a 20′ by 20′ garage, unless you’re using it as a one-car garage instead.
- Measure your vehicle’s width and length before choosing a garage this size to make sure they will fit inside.
- Don’t forget to fold back your side mirrors when entering and exiting the garage.
- Be careful not to swing car doors open inside the garage; the cramped quarters make it easy to scrape, scratch, or dent your car on the sides of the garage.
- A hanging tennis ball or small pennant flag can keep you from pulling too far forward when space is limited.
- Pool noodles attached to the garage walls can help you keep from getting too close to the edges of a very small garage.
- Keep any additional space in the garage for your cars only and opt to store items in your home or another structure.
Standard Two-Car Garage Dimensions
There are quite a few “standard” 2 car garage sizes. Most are in the 22′ range for width or length. If you don’t need a big garage but still want to have plenty of room as you pull in and get in and out of your vehicle, dimensions of 20′ by 22′ or 22′ by 22′ is your best bet.
Standard sized garages are best suited for small and mid-size vehicles, or a small, compact car and a larger SUV or pickup truck. You may run into problems trying to park two large vehicles in a garage this size.
If you need some additional storage space, room for a workbench or workspace, or room for a lawnmower, ATV, etc, you’ll want to look at wide garages that are at least 22′ by 24′, preferably 24′ by 24′.
Standard Two-Car Garage Door Dimensions
While the minimum two car garage door size is 12 feet by 8 feet, the standard garage door size is 16 feet by 8 feet.
This garage door width leaves plenty of space for cars, SUVs, and pickup trucks to pass through comfortably without needing to fold in side mirrors.
Just because two cars can fit inside a smaller-than-standard garage doesn’t mean you’ll want to subject yourself to the additional problems a smaller garage creates.
Once inside, the roomier floor plan a standard two-car garage provides over a minimum-sized two-car garage makes a big difference.
- Measure your vehicle’s width and length (plus the dimensions of any other equipment or vehicles you plan to store) to be sure they will fit inside your standard-sized garage comfortably.
- Don’t waste side space in a standard-sized garage by installing shelves. This will cut down on the amount of room you will have opening and closing car doors and entering and exiting your vehicle. If you need shelving, try adding it along the far end instead.
- If you decide to go with a standard size double garage, choose how much of a difference 2 feet could make for you inside the space. Parking large vehicles or turning it into a living space, moving up from 22′ to 24′ can make a big difference.
- If you’re only parking one, small car and won’t be using the garage for storage, you can save a little money on materials if you size down a bit to a 20′ by 22′ or 22′ by 22.’
Large Two-Car Garage Dimensions
Depending on the floor plan used, these dimensions create a very long garage. This allows for ample room for workspace, lawn and garden tools, laundry areas, and storage at the far end of the garage.
Some use the additional space to store small vehicles like ATVs, bikes, motorcycles, go-karts, and scooters. A small boat can be stored in a large garage in some cases.
If your neighborhood has strict rules about vehicles that can be parked in your driveway or along the street, a large garage like this is your best option to keep everything protected and stored out of sight.
A large double garage that is attached to or detached from the main home may also be used as a comfortable living space with a few additional home improvements.
Large Two-Car Garage Door Dimensions
Large two-car garages like these will have similar-sized double garage doors because the size of the opening isn’t that different.
The average width of these doors is usually 16′ to 18′ wide, and the average height is about 8′ tall.
- Measure all of your vehicles’ width and length (and the dimensions of other equipment or vehicles you will store) before you make your final decision on garage size. You may not need as much space as you think.
- A larger two-car garage can be a great investment, as 85% of home buyers want big garages.
- Big garages can easily be transformed into a livable space with a few adjustments and additions, which also increases home square footage (if the garage is attached).
- Families with a lot of small, motorized vehicles will find that a larger two-car garage has enough space to store those items without taking up too much of a footprint in the yard.
- Part of a large garage can be converted into a laundry room, workshop, craft area, study room, etc.
Cost of a Two-Car Garage
You can expect to pay anywhere from $5,000 for small, pre-fabricated garages to $26,000 for large, 28′ by 40′ garages.
Price will vary, depending on factors like:
- Materials used (wood or vinyl in most cases)
- Plumbing, drywall, electricity, etc.
- Overall size of the garage
- Shipping costs, if pre-fabricated styles are ordered
- Labor, if you’re not building the garage yourself
- Attached or detached garage
The average price for a two-car garage is about $15,000, though many are cheaper, and some are much more expensive.
Be sure you have an exact quote on cost before you begin building or order a custom-built garage.
So, How Big Is a Standard Two-Car Garage?
From improving your home’s appeal on the market to protecting your vehicles from weather, damage, and theft, garages are often at the top of our lists of the best features a home can come with.
There is no “perfect garage,” but there is a garage design, size, and style that is best for you. Choose the size of your garage according to your needs, lifestyle, and budget to be sure you’ll be happy with the outcome long-term.
Think a one-car garage best suits your needs? Read our Single Car Garage Dimensions Guide.