Below are the best information about Roof insurance claim denied voted by readers and compiled and edited by our team, let’s find out
It is not uncommon for insurers, manufacturers, and roofing professionals to reject insurance or warranty claims. Some Tulsa OK homeowners misinterpret the terms and conditions of their policies leading to their roof insurance claim denied.
Unfortunately, insurance policies and warranties must strictly abide by their terms else it will mean losses to the insurer, manufacturer, or roofing consultant.
For this reason, these parties must show the full terms and conditions of their insurance policies or warranties. In this way, property owners can decide which insurance policy or warranties will work best for their situation
After reading this post, homeowners will:
- Know the common reasons why providers have roof insurance claim denied
- Take the alternative steps to obtain insurance or provide ample protection for their properties
- Understand how to make efficient decisions regarding their roof insurance policies
Roof Insurance Claim Denied: Common Reasons
These five are the typical reasons why most parties reject property owner insurance and warranty claims. As you read further, you will notice you can overcome these errors before buying the insurance policy. Therefore, before buying ANY type of roof insurance, consider:
- Reading the terms and conditions in full
- Having your roof pre-inspected before taking out the insurance
- Get a transparent estimate from a second contractor aside from the adjuster’s inspectors
Not Included in the Terms and Conditions
Having your roof insurance claim denied means the insurance policy or warranty does not cover the particular damage-causing event that led to your roof damage.
To know whether your insurance or warranty covers the particular event, you must read its terms and conditions in full. Most insurance policies and warranties will cover one to three hailstorm damages. In fact, it is common to see these financial products provide for any initial roof material defect within the first three months.
Some situations insurance and warranties may not cover include:
- Acts of God (Freak or Rare Accidents ie. airplane crashes, structural debris damage from nearby structures etc)
- Animal habitat creation damage such as nesting birds or small animals digging against the roofing material
- Small and non-destructive leaks (although some insurers and manufacturers will provide protection for immensely destructive leaks)
- Full payment for a 30-year-old roof
- Mismanaged or poorly-maintained roof (negligence leading to immense roof material damages. This is very easy to avoid)
Unqualified Roofing Contractor Installation
One reason for having your roof insurance claim denied is due to an unqualified contractor installing your roof. However, this reason only applies to product-bundled insurance policies or manufacturer warranties.
The roof has the lowest risk of damage with proper installation. Therefore, manufacturers train and advise a set of contractors through their training programs. In turn, these roofers become qualified to install their roof.
With these low risk premiums, they can offer insurance or warranties to homeowners. The risk of roof damage using the manufacturer’s products becomes high if an unqualified contractor handles the materials.
Most manufacturers will include this clause in their insurance policies or warranties.
Beyond The Insurance Coverage Period
Some insurance policies and warranties will provide full service coverage for roofs within 10-20 years. However, in case you are roof insurance claim denied, your insurer or manufacturer likely honors the insurance policy within a set number of years.
As we mentioned earlier, some insurers or manufacturers may choose not to provide full service coverage for roofs damaged beyond 30 years. One of the reasons for the low benefits is the average material estimated roof lifespan.
For example, if you have asphalt shingle roofs, the manufacturer will offer a comprehensive warranty during the start. Alternatively, an insurer will give it a low-premium protection policy. However, asphalt shingle roofs have a 20-35-year lifespan.
Therefore, it makes sense for both manufacturers and insurance providers to provide less service coverage or ultimately reject the claims for a roof bound for replacement.
Excluded Extreme Weather Condition
Homeowners buy insurance policies to provide financial relief and immediate restoration or replacement of their roof after extreme weather conditions. Unfortunately, a single insurance policy cannot protect it against all types of damages.
One reason why you have your roof insurance claim denied is the policy excludes the extreme weather condition that caused roof damages.
For example, an insurance policy will state explicitly that it provides protection for all wind and material damages. However, it may or may not mention anything about hailstorms or extreme roof damage high-level flooding causes.
If the policy does not mention about these extreme conditions, you can assume it does not cover these situations. As we stated earlier, always read your terms and conditions in full.
Over-the-Limit of Financial Guarantee
In some cases, you have your roof insurance claim denied because of extreme weather conditions the terms and conditions cover. The reason: the damage extent costs more than the set financial service equivalent in the terms and conditions of your insurance policy or warranty.
Some financial products will state a set amount it can provide to aid damages to your roof. Then, it will state the damages and roof situations that will trigger this financial relief.
While insurers and manufacturers will not deny your claim at once, they will likely give you less support in the event of expensive roof damages. You can buy full-coverage roof replacement insurance policies, but we warn you: they can cost a bit more.
Alternative Steps For Tulsa OK Homeowners
Is there any way to turn around your policy once you have your roof insurance claim denied? Unfortunately, there is no way to appeal to insurers, manufacturers, and roofers and bend the rules.
However, these steps can help you get the right protection for your roof to avoid financial headaches in the event of any roof damage.
- Salvage What You Can Get: If your roof insurance claim gets denied because you have an unqualified installation, you have the option to cash it out and reinvest it in another, better-fitting policy than the first.
- Gauge the Risk Level of Your Property: If there’s a risk your roof gets torn off by a tornado and you’re living in a tornado-prone zone, then gauge the risk level of your property and get the right insurance. Tulsa OK homeowners need not worry about tornadoes though.
- Get a Thorough Roof Inspection: Most roofing contractors offer inspections free of charge. This gives you a clear picture whether your benefactors will still offer full or any form of benefit.
There’s no way to turn around your policy once you have your roof insurance claim denied. However, Tulsa OK homeowners can take note of these common reasons for rejection before they buy a roof insurance policy or make a warranty claim.
Once again, always read the terms and conditions of your roof insurance and warranties before agreeing to buy the policy or make a claims warranty.