Here are the best information about Auto insurance all state voted by readers and compiled and edited by our team, let’s find out
When drivers are shopping for car insurance, Geico and Allstate typically rank among the top choices, as both write billions of dollars in premiums each year. But when comparing Geico vs. Allstate directly, which provider is better for your needs?
We recently reviewed the best car insurance companies in the nation, and in this article, we will compare Geico vs. Allstate in areas such as coverage, customer experience, and cost. In the end, you’ll have a clear idea of which company you should go with for your next car insurance policy.
Whenever you shop for car insurance, we recommend getting quotes from multiple providers so you can compare coverage and rates. In addition to the insurance company you choose, factors such as your age, vehicle make and model, and driving history can affect your premium, so what’s best for your neighbor might not be best for you. To start comparing free, personalized car insurance quotes, use our tool above.
In this article:
- Geico vs. Allstate Insurance: Pros, Cons, and Rating
- Geico vs. Allstate Car Insurance: Coverage
- Geico vs. Allstate Car Insurance: Cost and Discounts
- Geico vs. Allstate Insurance: Customer Reviews and Ratings
- Geico vs. Allstate Insurance: Online Tools And Apps
- Allstate vs. Geico: Conclusion
- FAQ: Geico Vs. Allstate
Geico vs. Allstate Insurance: Pros, Cons, and Rating
Choosing between Geico and Allstate can be complicated because they are two of the biggest car insurance companies. To help you begin comparing below are the pros and cons of Geico and Allstate Car Insurance.
Compare Geico and Allstate
Geico and Allstate are both great options for car insurance both offer comprehensive coverage and lots of discounts. When it comes down to it, Geico is the better provider overall as it generally provides lower rates and has higher customer satisfaction, especially with claims. Here are our ratings on Geico vs. Allstate:
We will go into more detail about each provider, but some information will not be covered. If you want more in-depth reviews on each company check out our full Geico auto insurance review and Allstate auto insurance review. Otherwise, below we will go into more detail comparing Geico vs. Allstate coverage, cost, discounts, customer reviews, and ratings so you can make an informed decision.
Geico Vs. Allstate Car Insurance: Coverage
Geico and Allstate are among the largest auto insurers in the nation, holding 13 percent and 9 percent of the market, respectively, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) in 2020. You can rest assured that all of the standard types of insurance are available with either company. These include:
- Bodily injury liability (BI)
- Property damage liability (PD)
- Collision coverage
- Comprehensive car insurance
- Medical payments (MedPay)
- Personal injury protection (PIP)
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM)
Aside from these types of coverage, you can find a variety of other insurance offerings when comparing Geico vs. Allstate.
Geico vs. Allstate Car Insurance: Roadside Assistance
Like most major insurance providers, Geico and Allstate offer roadside assistance plans. Geico’s roadside assistance is fairly standard and comes with a monthly rate for the service. Allstate, on the other hand, requires no monthly fee but does make you pay for each use. You also have the option to purchase a higher level of roadside assistance when you are covered by Allstate.
Here’s what you can expect from each company:
Looking at Geico vs. Allstate, you can see that Allstate offers more roadside assistance options. However, you will need to decide if paying for each service individually is worth it.
Geico Vs. Allstate Car Insurance: Cost And Discounts
If you want cheap car insurance, you should understand how the price is determined. When you get a quote from an insurance company like Geico or Allstate, these are some of the factors that come into play:
- Policy option/deductible: Minimum coverage and full coverage come at different rates. In addition, your deductible amount affects your premium price. A higher deductible usually means a lower rate, and vice versa.
- Location: Premiums vary by state, but your local area also factors into the equation. If you reside in an urban area, you might pay more than a driver living in the middle of the country.
- Driving history: If you drive safely and have an accident-free driving record, you will get a far lower rate than if you had a speeding ticket, accident, or DUI on file.
- Vehicle: Your car make and model plays a role in how much you will spend. Some have expensive parts, and others are just costly to replace. Before you buy a vehicle, it helps to get the quote upfront so you can determine whether it is one of the cheapest or most expensive to insure.
- Credit score: Your credit history is used to determine how reliable you are. Avoiding bad credit can save you more on insurance.
- Age: Young drivers usually have a higher insurance premium due to increased risk. Teen drivers don’t have as much experience and, therefore, cause more accidents. Learn more about the best car insurance for teens.
With this information in mind, we encourage you to reach out to both Geico and Allstate for quotes. In our experience, we’ve found that Geico offers lower car insurance rates overall. That being said, every person’s quote is different, so if you qualify for a lot of discounts with Allstate then that might be your best bet.
You can also use the tool below to compare multiple car insurance quotes:
Geico Vs. Allstate Car Insurance: Discounts
When you compare Geico vs. Allstate for car insurance discounts, there isn’t a very clear winner. Both providers have a number of discounts available – like bundling home and auto insurance – so you’ll have to decide which apply most to you.
Geico Vs. Allstate Insurance: Customer Reviews And Ratings
Coverage and rates are two of the most important things you can consider when shopping for auto insurance, but the other is the customer experience. Just because Geico and Allstate are two of the largest insurance companies in the country doesn’t mean customers are always satisfied with the service they receive.
Let’s take a look at each company’s industry reputation to better understand customer satisfaction.
*J.D. Power statistics are from the 2021 U.S. Insurance Shopping Study and the 2021 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction StudySM.
Comparing Geico vs. Allstate shows that both providers have a lot to offer, but Geico pulls ahead in customer satisfaction. Geico had more complaints logged with the BBB, but it also holds about 4 percent more of the market share than Allstate, so that makes sense.
Both companies have strong financial ratings from AM Best, showing that they can fulfill claims, and both performed well in the J.D. Power shopping and claims satisfaction studies. However, Geico performed slightly better than Allstate in all of these areas.
Allstate vs. Geico Insurance: Customer Experiences
Reviews for Geico and Allstate are mixed online, which is common for insurance companies. The majority of complaints on Trustpilot are about a lack of coverage, a slow claims process, and poor customer service. However, there are a number of positive reviews, too.
Geico Customer Reviews
“I was recently rear-ended by an individual who was insured by Geico while at a complete stop in the left-hand turn lane waiting for the light to change. When I filed the claim with Geico and took my car to be inspected and repaired Geico refused to pay for obvious damage to my rear trim panels which along with my rear tailgate was damaged in the rear-end collision.”
– Clyde C. via BBB
Allstate Customer Reviews
“We have always had a good experience with Allstate. Only had to file one claim in the past 10 years or so but it was fixed and paid for. Staff have been friendly and no complaints!”
– Marissa G. via BBB
“Allstate is by far the worst hands you could be in. I was involved in a car accident on Nov 27, 2020. My car was [totaled] on Dec 18, 2020. It is now Jan 21, 2021 and I still don’t have the check for my vehicle being [totaled].”
– Michael H. via BBB
Geico Vs. Allstate Insurance: Online Tools And Apps
Geico and Allstate both have mobile apps and mobile-friendly websites. You can use the apps to manage your policy, pay premiums, access ID cards, call for roadside assistance, and submit claims. Aside from those options, each app provides some extra benefits.
Geico Mobile App
The Geico app has a 4.8 out of 5.0-star rating, which is the highest of any car insurance company mobile app we have seen to date. Here are a few of the extra perks you can find:
- Voice Assistance: Use the tools with your Google Home, Google Assistant, or Alexa device.
- Find a Ride: Hire a Lyft driver from your app.
- Vehicle Care: Receive reminders about your vehicle’s service needs.
- Locators: Quickly search for parking, nearby sites, and gas stations with a few clicks.
There are over 377,000 reviews for the app on the Google Play Store. Here’s what one happy user said:
“Does what it is supposed to. Very easy and simple. Love that Geico allows you to ‘postpone’ your auto draft payment until a later date. You can do this from month to month, if need be, not just once every 6 or 12 months. Rates keep going down. Awesome!”
– Cynthia C. via Google Play Store
Allstate Mobile App
The Allstate app doesn’t have as many positive reviews through the Google Play Store and has a 4.7 out of 5.0-star rating with more than 77,000 reviews.
Here’s what we like about the app:
- Agency Access: Find your local agent and contact with the app.
- Drivewise: This safe driving program can get you a discount based on your on-road behaviors.
- Roadside Assistance: Receive help by reaching out through the app.
- QuickFoto Claim: If you experience an accident, simply use your smartphone to take pictures and file claims fast.
- Digital Locker®: Make a record of your property to simplify filing insurance claims.
One positive reviewer said:
“This app is awesome! It is so easy to use and has so many functions. I highly recommend this app to Allstate customers. Other companies wish they could have this kind of functionality from their app.”
– Rick J. via Google Play Store
Allstate vs. Geico: Conclusion
Geico and Allstate can both be good providers for auto insurance and both comprehensive policies and many of discounts. Overall, Geico is the better insurance company due to it providing lower rates and better claims satisfaction than Allstate. However, we believe that getting quotes from both companies and other providers is the best practice. When you get quotes make sure to compare terms and rates carefully before making a decision. To start looking for car insurance quotes you can use the tool below:
Allstate vs. Geico Insurance: Top Competitors
In our own research of insurance companies, we found USAA and State Farm both performed highly in our industry review. We also recommend shopping around to find the best price. To start comparing car insurance quotes and find the cheapest car insurance for you, use the tool below:
USAA: Best For Military
Our team rates USAA 4.8 out of 5.0 stars for its great coverage, low pricing, and reputation. Military members, veterans, and their family members are eligible for USAA auto insurance. The company continuously receives high customer satisfaction ratings – it came in at the top of the two J.D. Power studies discussed above – and there are a high number of discount offerings. Read more in our complete USAA auto insurance review.
State Farm: Best For Students
We gave State Farm 4.6 out of 5.0 stars. State Farm is the largest car insurance provider in the country and performs highly in many industry leader reviews. If you’re a teen driver, you will find great discounts with State Farm, but other drivers may find that the company quotes them higher rates. Learn more about coverage in our full State Farm auto insurance review.
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our expert review team collects data from dozens of auto insurance providers to formulate rankings of the best insurers. Companies receive a score in each of the following categories, as well as an overall weighted score out of 5.0 stars.
- Industry Standing: Insurers with strong financial ratings and customer-first business practices receive the highest scores in this category.
- Availability: We consider availability by state as well as exclusions for specific groups of drivers.
- Coverage: This rating is based on types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits, and add-on policies.
- Cost and Discounts: Our research team reviews sample quotes for a variety of drivers in every state. Companies with lower prices and many car insurance discount opportunities receive the best scores.
- Customer Service: We comb through customer reviews and consumer feedback studies from experts like J.D. Power.
- Technology: Auto insurers with mobile apps, advanced online services and telematics are more likely to meet consumer needs.
Read our other insurance articles:
- Progressive vs. State Farm
- Geico vs. Progressive
- Geico vs. USAA
- Esurance vs. Geico
- Allstate vs. State Farm
- Nationwide vs. Progressive
- Safeco vs. Geico
- Metlife vs. Geico
- Liberty Mutual vs. State Farm
- Amica vs. Geico
- Nationwide vs. Geico
- Nationwide vs. State Farm
- Geico Roadside Assistance vs. AAA