Here are the top best Car accident chicago voted by readers and compiled and edited by our team, let’s find out
No one ever expects to be in a car accident. It can happen at any time, without warning.
Most car accidents in Chicago, IL, result from driver negligence or recklessness; however, other factors can contribute to a car crash.
Did you suffer bodily injury in a car accident? If so, it’s essential to know your legal rights and options when car accidents occur.
The personal injury attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, LLC, are legal advocates for our clients and have obtained over $250 million on their behalf.
Call our experienced Chicago car accident lawyers today at (888) 424-5757 (toll-free phone number) or use the contact form today for immediate legal advice and schedule a free consultation. All confidential or sensitive information you share with our legal team about your car accident remains private through an attorney-client relationship.
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, LLC: Fighting For Our Clients and Their Rights
You can’t prevent bad drivers from causing damage. But you may regain control of your life after car accidents occur.
The number of car accidents in America is staggering.
The consequences can be devastating, with thousands dying from preventable car crashes every year and countless more experiencing life-threatening injuries that could have been prevented by common sense or careful driving practices.
Contacting an accident lawyer is the first step on the road to recovery, as we will safeguard your rights, seek compensation for you that is fair, and ultimately assist you in getting your life back on track.
Handling a Car Accident Claim Without Legal Representation
Within the first few hours or days following a car accident, the other motorist’s insurer will likely contact you to discuss how the auto accident occurred and determine who is at fault.
We often advise our potential clients to watch what they say during the call. Insurance claim adjusters are highly trained as proven tactics to get people to admit fault.
Often, they ask leading questions that are difficult to answer without implicating the individual as though they are responsible for what occurred.
If you choose to have a conversation without legal representation, give details on only the basics of what occurred. Avoid saying the wrong thing that could drastically reduce getting the compensation you deserve.
The Benefits of Hiring a Chicago Car Accident Lawyer
According to studies, individuals who suffer injuries in an auto accident recover more money if they hire a lawyer than if they deal with an insurance carrier independently.
Chicago car accident attorneys will provide various legal services to help you get the maximum compensation possible for your severe injuries and losses following a vehicle accident.
The lawyers’ services involve:
- Investigating the accident scene
- Collecting evidence
- Interviewing witnesses
- Filing a lawsuit on your behalf
- Negotiating with the insurance company
- Trying the car accident case in court, if necessary
Most car accident victims never hire a car crash attorney. They mistakenly believe that they can negotiate a settlement with the insurance company on their own.
Substantially Low Settlement Offers
Most injured car accident victims are shocked to find out how little money the insurance company is prepared to offer in a settlement when they have suffered injuries requiring extensive medical treatment and rehabilitation.
If you’re not sure whether or not you need a car accident lawyer, here are some questions to ask:
- Did the other driver have auto insurance?
- Was the other driver at fault?
- Did you suffer any serious injuries in the accident?
- Did the accident cause any property damage?
- Do you need medical treatment for your serious injuries?
- Do you have to take time off work because of your personal injuries?
- Are you afraid to contact the other driver’s insurance company?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, you should immediately contact a car accident lawyer.
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, LLC has years of experience representing auto accident victims. We understand the laws that apply to these complex cases, and we know how to get our clients the maximum compensation possible.
We offer a free consultation to discuss your case with an experienced car accident lawyer and find out your legal options. We work on a contingency fee basis, so you don’t have to pay us any money unless we recover money.
If you’ve been injured in a car accident, don’t wait. Contact our Chicago office today.
Building a Case
At Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, LLC, our lawyers firmly believe that it is critical to perform an early and complete examination of a vehicle accident to ensure we gather pertinent evidence before it is destroyed, misplaced, or lost.
So contact a Chicago auto accident attorney to start your vehicle accident claim.
Our personal injury law firm will typically send an investigator to the car crash scene to collect evidence. The law firm will also collect evidence from the car accident victims, such as medical records (documenting your car accident injury) and accident reports.
The law firm will contact witnesses and get their statements about what happened in the accident.
We may also engage the services of highly experienced specialists who can assist us in determining:
- The at-fault party responsible for causing the car wreck
- The full value of your case or comparative negligence value
- The long-term impact of your physical injuries
- Whether you will require lifelong care
- The economic (medical bills, lost wages, etc.) damages and non-economic (emotional distress, etc.) damages associated with your accident
- The auto insurance policy limits available to cover your damages
We understand that dealing with an auto accident is difficult for victims and their families. That is why our Chicago car accident attorneys will handle every aspect of your case so you can focus on getting better.
We will keep you informed of the progress of your case, and we will not rest until we have obtained the best possible outcome for you.
Underinsured and Uninsured Motorist (UM) Coverage
By law, all drivers operating motor vehicles in Illinois carry uninsured motorist (UM) coverage. This coverage protects drivers and their passengers if they are involved in an accident with a driver who does not have automobile liability insurance.
Drivers and passengers involved in an accident with an uninsured motorist can file a claim with their uninsured motorist coverage.
The injured driver’s insurance carrier will investigate the accident and will typically try to settle the auto insurance claim for less than the policy limits.
Underinsured Motorist Coverage
If you are injured in an accident with an uninsured motorist, it is essential to contact an experienced car accident lawyer right away. The lawyers at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, LLC have years of experience representing uninsured motorists’ accident victims.
We know how to get our clients the fair compensation they deserve. We offer a free consultation to discuss your case with an experienced car accident injury lawyer and find out your legal options.
We work on a contingency fee basis, so you don’t have to pay us unless we recover money for you.
How the Insurance Company Typically Handles a Car Accident Claim
The moment the insurance companies providing coverage to all involved in a car accident are informed of the crash, they dispatch insurance adjusters to the scene. The adjusters must investigate the accident and develop a theory about who caused the crash.
The insurance company will typically try to settle the claim quickly for the policy limits. If they are successful in doing so, they will have avoided paying out any more money on the claim.
If the injured person does not have an attorney, the insurance company will typically offer well below what the case is worth. As a result, the adjusters will likely make a settlement offer for an amount far below the claim’s actual value.
Never Accept the First Settlement Offer
Insurers use various tactics to lowball the car accident settlement, hoping the injured victims accept the offer before they understand:
- The extent of their damages
- The severity of their car accident injuries
- The long-term impact the accident will have on their life
It is crucial to have an experienced car accident injury lawyer fighting for your rights when dealing with the insurance company.
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, LLC, lawyers have years of experience negotiating with insurance companies and getting our clients the best possible settlement.
What We Will Do For You To Ensure Maximum Compensation
Our legal practice will determine your claim’s value through a comprehensive case review to ensure you receive compensation.
We work on a contingency fee, so you don’t have to pay us for our fees unless we recover compensation for you.
Identify All Defendants
Your lawyer might identify multiple defendants to add to your case’s legal claim or lawsuit.
Potential defendants could include:
- Other at-fault drivers: In some car accident cases, the evidence shows that multiple drivers were responsible for causing the crash, either at the accident scene or before the crash occurred.
- The vehicle manufacturer: Sometimes, a vehicle defect or malfunction can cause a car accident.
- The roadway designer or maintainer: If the roadway played a role in the accident, the designer or maintainer could be responsible.
- The municipality: If a defective street light, stop sign, or traffic signal was involved in the accident, the municipality could be held liable.
Our legal practice will collect all of the evidence needed to support your case, including:
- Photos of the crash scene
- Pictures of the vehicles involved in the crash
- Police reports
- Witness statements
- Medical records
- Video footage of the accident (if available)
Negotiate a Settlement with the Insurance Company
Our legal practice will negotiate a fair and full settlement with the insurance company on your behalf. We have years of experience negotiating with insurers and getting our clients the best possible settlement.
It might take multiple negotiation settlement meetings to resolve a personal injury claim, especially if multiple defendants are involved in the crash.
In rare cases, the insurer makes a bad faith offer, denies the claim, or delays the payment. We are ready to file a lawsuit and take the case to trial to protect your rights and compensation when this occurs.
File a Car Accident Lawsuit
Our law firms will file a car accident lawsuit on your behalf when enough evidence is available. A lawsuit will allow us to take the defendant’s insurer to court and fight for a fair trial.
Submitting a claim through our law firms will let the insurance company know that you have an experienced and aggressive law firm fighting for your rights.
In addition, the representation could result in a better settlement offer from the insurance company.
Get Your Vehicle Repaired Properly or Replaced
Many insurance adjusters push claimants to their company-approved auto repair shops that do not automatically fix the vehicle using OEM (original manufacturer equipment). Fixing a vehicle using substandard components devalues the car or truck’s worth.
Our legal team ensures your vehicle is repaired by the best auto repair shops in your community and that the defendant’s insurance company pays the bill.
If experts have deemed the car or truck to be “totaled” in the accident, we fight aggressively on your behalf to ensure your vehicle is replaced with another for comparable value.
Workers’ Compensation Benefits for a Motor Vehicle Accident
Were you injured in a car wreck while on company time, driving your vehicle or theirs?
If so, we will carefully examine the circumstances of your case to determine if any other liens, workers’ compensation benefits, or health care is available to help you recover damages.
By Illinois law, your employer must carry workers’ compensation insurance to pay for any medical bills and lost income if you are injured on the job. This available insurance coverage might include any damages generated while working, on your way to work, or driving a company vehicle.
However, there is a strict statute of limitations on filing for workers’ compensation benefits. Speak with a Chicago car accident lawyer as soon as possible.
Working on Contingency
The personal injury attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, LLC accept all serious personal injury claims and wrongful death cases on a contingency fee agreement. This arrangement ensures our clients have legal representation immediately without paying any upfront out-of-pocket expenses.
Our law firm advances all expenses involved in resolving a car accident claim and gets paid only when negotiating a settlement or winning a jury trial award. Our “No-Win/No-Fee” Guarantee is simple: We do not get paid if you do not win!
The Financial Compensation You Should Expect after your Chicago Car Accident
Suffering severe injuries, facing high auto repair bills, or losing a loved one in a car accident can be financially devastating. But, unfortunately, you might not know where to turn for help.
Our law firm has helped thousands of Illinoisians and Chicagoans and can help you. We will fight to get you the fair and total compensation you deserve to cover all your accident-related expenses (including future medical costs).
You can expect to receive compensation that covers:
- Medical bills: Nearly all moderate to severe car accidents result in enormous medical costs that include hospital bills, surgical care, counseling, physical therapy, rehabilitation, assisted devices, prescription drugs, emergency medical personnel treatment, and ongoing care (future medical expenses).
- Lost wages: Many car and truck accidents leave injured victims unable to return to work or reduce their future earning capacity either temporarily or permanently.
- Pain and suffering: The physical and emotional harm you experience from a car accident can be significant.
- Punitive damages: If the at-fault driver’s actions were particularly reckless or malicious, you might be able to recover additional money to punish the at-fault party.
- Property damage: If any personal property or real estate was damaged in the accident, you could file a claim to recover the cost to repair or replace the item or structure.
If you have been injured in a Chicago car accident, do not hesitate to contact Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, LLC for immediate legal assistance.
Car Accident Cases Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers Accept
For years, our personal injury attorneys have handled car crash cases involving single vehicles, multiple vehicles, pedestrians, bicyclists, motorcycles, commercial trucks, and more.
The major types of car accidents we accept include:
- Fatal crashes (wrongful death claims)
- Head-on collisions
- Rear-end accidents
- T-bone accidents
- Sideswipe accidents
- Side-impact collisions
- Intersection accidents
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist accidents
- Uber and Lyft crashes
- Taxi accidents
- Rental car crashes
- Night driving crashes
- Teenage driver accidents
- Vehicles striking pedestrians or bicyclists
- Commercial truck accidents
- Hit and run accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Car and pedestrian accidents
Our Chicago car accident lawyers are here to help you and your family member receive the just compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a free legal consultation.
Car Accident Victims in Hit and Run Cases
Hit-and-run accidents are all too common where the at-fault driver responsible for causing the crash flees the crash scene. Fortunately, you are likely still covered under your insurance policy to pay for all non-economic and economic damages associated with a hit-and-run crash.
Under Illinois law, if you are the victim of a hit-and-run accident, your own insurance company must provide uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM) insurance coverage.
This requirement means that even if the at-fault driver is never apprehended, you can still recover economic damages from your policy up to your coverage limits.
Our Chicago car accident attorneys can help you file a UM claim and negotiate with your auto insurer to get you your compensation.
We have successfully represented hit-and-run victims in court against their own insurance companies and recovered millions of dollars in economic damages for our plaintiff’s injuries. So let our car accident attorneys help you too.
Uber and Lyft Accidents
Since Uber and Lyft launched in Chicago, there has been a dramatic increase in traffic accidents involving these ride-sharing vehicles.
If you are injured in an Uber or Lyft accident, you should immediately contact an experienced personal injury lawyer.
Unfortunately, unlike traditional taxi companies, Uber and Lyft are not regulated by Chicago laws, leaving injury victims few options to seek compensation for their non-economic and economic damages.
Our Chicago auto accident lawyers have experience representing Uber and Lyft accident victims and are prepared to take on these corporations. We will work to get you the maximum compensation available.
Pedestrian and Bicycle Accidents
Thousands of pedestrians are killed or injured in auto accidents each year. Many of these accidents could be prevented if drivers exercised caution around pedestrians.
If you are a pedestrian who has been injured in an accident, you should contact experienced auto accident lawyers. You may be entitled to pursue compensation for your medical bills, lost earnings, and pain and suffering.
Our trial lawyers have years of experience representing pedestrian accident victims and know how to get you the compensation you need. Bike accident statistics include:
- Vehicles striking pedestrians or bicyclists account for almost half of all traffic fatalities in the United States.
- The number of bicyclist and pedestrian fatalities has increased from 5,376 in 2009 to 7,468 in 2016. This rate is a significant increase of 41%.
- In Chicago, there were 97 pedestrian fatalities in 2019. This rate is a significant increase from the 73 pedestrian fatalities in 2018.
- Bicyclist fatalities have also increased from 8 in 20013 to 19 in 2019. This statistic reveals a significant increase of 138%.
Common Injuries in Chicago Automobile Crashes
Even a minor injury can leave the victim with life-changing harm, requiring adjustments in daily life. Our Chicago, Illinois, personal injury attorneys have handled many cases where our clients have suffered injuries after the crash, including:
- Whiplash: The quick thrust of a collision can whip the head and neck, often causing a serious injury with pain and stiffness in the cervical spine.
- Concussion: A concussion is a traumatic brain injury that can cause dizziness, nausea, vomiting, confusion, and headache.
- Spinal Cord Injury: Damage to the spinal cord can lead to paralysis or loss of mobility in the limbs.
- Traumatic brain injury: A hard blow to the head can cause the brain to collide with the skull, leading to swelling and potential damage.
- Puncture wounds: Any sharp object during the collision can puncture the skin, skull, internal organs, muscles, and even bone.
- Chest Injury: A chest injury can leave the car accident victim with difficulty breathing, chest pain, catastrophic injury, and even death.
- Eye Injury: Eye injuries can cause blindness and even permanent vision loss.
- Foot and knee injuries: The driver and front-seat passengers are highly susceptible to foot and knee injuries during a head-on collision or side-impact crash.
- Cuts and lacerations: The shattered glass from the windshield or side windows can leave the car accident victim with a serious injury, including a deep cut and facial laceration leaving deformity, scar tissue, or nerve damage.
If you have been injured in an automobile accident, you should contact an experienced personal injury lawyer right away. You may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost earnings, and pain and suffering.
Our trial lawyers have years of experience handling car accident cases and know how to get you the compensation you deserve.
Determining Liability for your Vehicle Accident
Identifying all parties involved in a collision requires years of investigative work. Our legal team will hire accident reconstruction experts to evaluate what happened and determine who caused the wreck in some car accident cases.
Many auto accident cases we handled and resolved involve:
- Drunk driving: Operating a vehicle under the influence of drugs or alcohol is illegal. Even though there are laws to protect against drunk driving, many of our clients were severely hurt or killed due to someone else’s negligence while impaired behind the wheel.
- Failure to yield: Drivers who do not yield to pedestrians in a crosswalk or stop for a stop sign can be held liable for any injuries the pedestrian sustains.
- Distracted driving: Drivers talking on the phone, texting, eating, or adjusting the radio can be held responsible for any collisions they cause.
- Illegal lane changes: Swerving in and out of lanes can be extremely dangerous, especially if done at high speeds.
- Running stop signs or red lights: Drivers who run stop signs or red lights are often in a hurry and end up causing serious collisions.
- Speeding: Driving too fast for conditions is one of the leading causes of automobile accidents.
- Reckless driving: When a driver dangerously operates a vehicle, they can be charged with reckless driving.
- Hitting objects on the road: If a driver hits a pothole, debris in the road, or another vehicle, they can be liable for any damages.
- Faulty brakes or bald tires: A vehicle with defective brakes or bald tires is a hazard on the road, and the driver can be held liable for auto accidents.
- Defective car parts: If a car part is defective and causes a crash, the manufacturer can be liable for damages.
- Road rage: When one driver becomes angry and lashes out at another driver, it can lead to dangerous driving behavior and serious accidents.
If you have been injured in an automobile accident, our civil law team can help you identify all liable parties and get you the compensation you deserve.
Catastrophic Car Accidents Involving Commercial Trucks
The sheer size and weight of a fully-loaded semi-tractor-trailer traveling at any speed can cause catastrophic injuries and death when hitting a passenger vehicle.
According to the Illinois Department of Transportation, in 2016, there were 1,921 crashes involving commercial trucks in Illinois. Of those crashes, 104 were fatal crashes, and 1,817 resulted in injuries.
Many of these crashes involved colliding with other drivers stopped at a red light or turning left in front of the truck.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a truck accident, you need an experienced personal injury attorney who understands the complexities of these motor vehicle accident cases.
How to Handle a Vehicle Accident
If you are involved in a vehicle accident, it is essential to take the following steps:
- Call the police: Law enforcement will arrive on the scene and investigate the accident. Then, they will create a report to use in court.
- Take pictures: Photos of the accident scene, damage to vehicles, and injuries can help establish liability.
- Get medical attention: Even if you don’t think you are injured, it is vital to seek medical attention. Some injuries, such as whiplash, may not be immediately apparent.
- Document what happened: capture photographic evidence of your injuries as quickly as possible. In the days or weeks that follow, take additional photographs to show how you healed or not.
- Avoid posting on social media: The claims adjuster representing the defendant will scour social media to see if you are discussing what happened. As a result, what you say could be used as evidence against you, diminishing the value of your motor vehicle accident case, even if your words are taken out of context.
- Contact an experienced car accident attorney: It is essential to speak with an attorney as soon as possible after an accident. An attorney can help you protect your rights and get the compensation you deserve.
The Illinois Statute of Limitations
The Illinois state legislature has enacted the statute of limitations on filing personal injury cases. According to the law (735 ILCS 5/13-202), victims with damages can file a personal injury claim within two years from the date of their car accident injury.
If you do not file a car accident lawsuit before the two-year deadline, you will lose your right to pursue any legal action. However, extenuating circumstances may allow you to file past the deadline. Contact an experienced car accident attorney to discuss your options.
This time limit applies to all Chicago, IL, car accident lawsuits.
Avoiding Car Accidents in Chicago
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there are several things you can do to avoid being in a car accident:
- Obey the speed limit: Speed is a significant factor in many motor vehicle accidents.
- Don’t drink and drive: In 2019, 10,265 people died in alcohol-involved fatal crashes. That’s 28 percent of all traffic fatalities.
- Don’t text and drive: Distracted driving is a leading cause of motor vehicle accidents.
- Use your turn signals: Failure to use your turn signals can lead to auto accidents.
- Yield to pedestrians: Pedestrians have the right-of-way in crosswalks.
- Be aware of your surroundings: Keep an eye out for a negligent driver who is not paying attention.
- Drive cautiously through construction zones: Construction zones can be dangerous, with workers and heavy equipment present.
- Drive defensively: Anticipate the actions of other drivers and be prepared to take evasive action.
The Accident Was Not My Fault! So What Do I Do Now?
If the auto accident was not your fault, you should contact an experienced car accident attorney as soon as possible. The attorney can help you protect your rights and get the compensation you deserve.
You may be entitled to non-economic and economic damages for medical expenses, lost income, and pain and suffering. The Chicago car accident attorney will negotiate with the insurer on your behalf and get you the best possible settlement.
If the defendant’s insurer does not offer a fair settlement, the attorney can file a car accident lawsuit on your behalf and take the case to trial.
It is essential to speak with Chicago car accident lawyers as soon as possible after an accident to discuss your options.
Proving Your Case
Under civil tort law, you will need to prove what happened to settle your claim or win your case at trial. You’ll need to prove the four elements of civil law, including:
- The individual or entity at fault for the accident had a duty to ensure your safety
- The breach of their duty led to your car accident injuries
- The accident resulted in injuries and damages
- You can prove your damages in court if necessary
You will need evidence to support your case, including eyewitness testimony, medical records, cell phone records (if distracted driving is suspected), and photographs.
Car Accidents FAQs
Our personal injury attorneys understand that many families have unanswered questions about dealing directly with insurance companies to resolve a compensation claim.
Contact a Car Accident Attorney to Resolve your Compensation Claim
Did your loved one suffer serious or fatal injuries in a car crash? If so, contact our Chicago car accident lawyers as soon as possible, who can help protect your rights and get the compensation you deserve.
Our Chicago, IL legal team promises you will pay nothing until we can obtain fair compensation on your behalf to resolve your motor vehicle accident claim. Call (888) 424-5757 to schedule a free consultation.
Speak with a Chicago car accident lawyer at our law firm representing clients throughout Chicago and surrounding areas. Our clients’ personal injury claims include medical malpractice, product liability, construction accidents, nursing home abuse, etc.
All confidential or sensitive information you share with our law firm remains private through an attorney-client relationship.
- NHTSA – Increasing Traffic Fatalities
- National Safety Council – Cell Phones and Car Accidents!